New

Thursday, 16 February 2017

We Got Round to Watching: T2 Trainspotting

All of the original cast and Danny Boyle are back to give Rent Boy, Sick Boy, Spud and Begbie another round on the big screen.

Like a lot of people I am a big fan of the first Trainspotting film, to me it represents the kind of film you just don't see anymore. It's not glamorous or out to make a point, its simply a brilliant story full of interesting characters. 

Given the recent parade of sequels, I was naturally sceptical that T2 would manage to be true to its roots and capture the same deeply dark comedy that made its predecessor so good. However, this film has proven that late coming sequels to cult films don't have to be crap.

Just like the first, this film was funny, dark, thought provoking and sometimes hard to watch. They have very much captured the feeling of Trainspotting with a hard edge of modern day hopelessness. This feels like a school reunion where everyone stayed exactly where they were, looking back in regret and trying to regain what they thought they had or could have had.

The film that came to mind while watching this was Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Both films are trying recapture the feeling the original film gave you when you watched it for the first time all those years ago. The Force Awakens was a blur of over the top references and flat out obvious similarities, whereas T2 moves the story along while really considering the implications of the previous film's events.

It has to be said, without watching the first film this wouldn't make the slightest bit of sense, but I suppose that's allowed for a sequel.

The highlight of this film for me was the sheer terror incited by Robert Carlyle's psychotic character Francis "Franco" Begbie. He's not some huge colossus of a man or a powerful mob boss, just a bloke with literally no limit to how far he will go to inflict pain to anyone who gives him the slightest reason.   

Summarise!

If you enjoyed the first film, watch this one.

4/5 Slices

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

www.asliceofsomething.com is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk